Tuesday, February 10, 2009

So simple they should call it past-easy...

And Matt started to see Vanity. Vanity, the faceless figure with vacant eyes on the other side of the mirror. The demon that grows in man's heart. What need has vanity for sight, when it can only see itself? Its person passes through portraits in its own image that takes anyone's form. It sits motionless all day, marveling in its magnificence, until someone who loves themselves more than Vanity passes by. Been filling mens' souls from when they were mere thoughts. I expected to find a picture of him lying around soon enough. I was worried and cautious. Poor Matt! He hasn't got no need looking at every reflection he dun seen. I asked a psychologist to speak with him, but Matt wouldn't have it. He reckon'd that he wuz better than Jesus the day he rose again, so there was no need for help. He'd say that i'd come around the day the man cursing me rested in peace. He wasn't vain at all. That's what he believed. But family told me differently, so i knew i was right. And if they hadn't confirmed it, i was bound to know despite it, as the people from school told me and whispered amongst each other in the cafeteria and commons. People who wouldn't have dared to sayit to himwere content to talk amongst each other. They just gathered round the tables and gossiped. Pride, that double edged sword, had cut us away from them.

4 comments:

  1. I like your beginning and the retorical question. That Vanity only sees itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you related vanity to school.
    "And if they hadn't confirmed it, i was bound to know despite it, as the people from school told me and whispered amongst each other in the cafeteria and commons." (MITCHY DEEZ 1)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you mentioned that vanity does not need sight because it can only see itself. I think that is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice allusion to the bible. I like Vanity as an abstract noun. Props.

    ReplyDelete